The City Manager is appointed by the Mayor and City Commission as the Chief Executive Officer of the City of Canyon. As the Chief Executive, the City Manager works with the City Commission, City Department Directors and City Staff to develop and implement policies guiding the City.
This general function takes a number of forms including:
- Coordination of daily operations
- Long-range development of the City
- Preparation of the annual budget
- Development and implementation of the personnel regulations
- Financial and administrative policies
- Other actions as required by the Mayor and City Council or Code of Ordinances
Joe Price was appointed the City Manager of Canyon in October 2019 by the City Commission. Prior to his appointment, he was the Assistant City Manager and Director of Planning & Development for the City of Borger, from August 2017 to October 2019. Joe began his career at the Panhandle Regional Planning Commission (Council of Governments) in 2012 as a Program Coordinator, serving as a rural transportation planner, the contract City Manager for Lake Tanglewood and Timbercreek Canyon, conducted executive recruitment processes and strategic planning for cities, served as a project manager for numerous Community Development Block Grant projects, Texas Capital Fund Grant projects, and specialized in Disaster Relief Grant Projects.
After graduating from Highland Park High School in 2005, Joe earned a Bachelors and Masters Degree in Political Science from West Texas A&M University and is a Proud Buffalo. He holds a Certified Floodplain Manager credential and is a Certified Public Manager.
Professional Affiliations, Boards and Memberships
- Amarillo Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), Voting Member
- TxCDBG Unified Scoring Committee (State Board), Voting Member
- Texas City Management Association
- State Board: TCMA Membership Committee
- State Board: City Managers of Tomorrow Committee
- Panhandle City Managers Association
- Texas Floodplain Management Association
- American Planning Association
- Building Officials Association of Texas
- Texas Association of Municipal Information Officers
Joe is an Eagle Scout and in 2016 earned Amarillo’s Top 20 Under the Age of 40 Award.
Joe is married to his wonderful wife, Stephanie Price, for 10 years now. She works in Canyon at the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum as the Marketing and Communications Director. They are the parents of their dearly departed Charlotte, who went to heaven in November 2016, and Madeleine, who joined the world in May of 2021. Joe enjoys fishing, WT Football and traveling with Steph.