The next General Election for the City of Canyon City Commission Places 1 (Mayor) and 2 through 5 will be held May 1, 2021.
Applications for a place on the ballot for the May 1, 2021 Election will be accepted starting January 13, 2021 during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The last day to file for a place on the ballot is February 12, 2021 at 5:00 pm.
Eligibility Requirements per Election Code
§ 11.11. General Eligibility Requirements.
(a) Standard requirements. In accordance with the standard eligibility requirements for a city office, a candidate must:
(1) be a United States citizen;
(2) be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election;
(3) not have been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
(A) totally mentally incapacitated; or
(B) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
(4) not have been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
(5) have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the city or in the district or ward, as applicable, for six months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot (for a write-in candidate, preceding the date of the election);
(6) be a registered voter in the territory from which the office is elected as of the date of the filing deadline for a candidate's place on the ballot (for a write-in candidate, as of the date of the election). [EC §141.001(a)].
Eligibility Requirements per City of Canyon Charter
Sec. 4.03 of the City of Canyon Charter Qualifications.
The mayor and each of the commissioners shall be a citizen of the United States of America and a qualified voter of the State of Texas; shall not be in arrears in the payment of any taxes or other liability due to the city. A member of the city commission ceasing to possess any of the qualifications specified in this section, or if convicted of a felony while in office, shall immediately forfeit his office. (Adopted by electorate 6-23-59)
Applications must be received by 5 p.m. February 12, 2021 and can be filed in person or sent by mail to:
City of Canyon City Hall
City Secretary's Office, Second Floor
301 16th Street
Canyon, Texas 79015
The Current City Commissioners are:
|Mayor, Place 1|
|Commissioner Place 2|
Cordell (Cody) Rook Jones
|Commissioner Place 3|
Paul R. Lyons
|Commissioner Place 4|
Roger Stephen Remlinger
|Commissioner Place 5|